About Front Range Woodturners
We are the Denver area chapter of the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) serving woodturners throughout Colorado’s Front Range.
We meet on the first Tuesday of every month from 6:15 to 9:00 PM in the basement of Rockler Woodworking and Hardware. Visitors are welcome to join us at one of our meetings to see what we are all about.
November – Trent Bosch
Professional woodturner Trent Bosch will demo his “Sienna Series” vessels:
Taking inspiration from other bodies of my work, such as Vessels of Illusion, I developed what I call my Sienna Series to give a similar effect to the multi-piece Vessel of Illusion but through a completely different technique. We will go through the process of wood selection, hollowing, carving, sandblasting, finishing and will especially focus on paying attention to the grain and using it as a feature in this body of work.
December – Holiday Party (no demo)
- Library – The Front Range Woodturners has an extensive collection of books, magazines, and videos available for members to check out at no cost.
- Demonstrations – Each monthly meeting features an exciting demo given by one of our club members or a professional turner. When available we also offer a full day hands-on class with these renowned turners at a nominal cost.
- Wood Raffle – Members can bring some of their excess wood to a meeting to be raffled off. You can never have too much wood!
- Group Buy – Do you want to save money? We have vendor discounts with Internet suppliers, local suppliers, tool and steel suppliers and wood suppliers. Through our deals with these vendors our members can easily earn back the cost of membership!
- Ladies of the Lathe – All female members of the FRW, aged 18 or older, are invited to join the Ladies of the Lathe. LOTL is intended to provide a comfortable, easy-paced, and non-threatening environment for women to learn and advance their skills in turning.
- Mentoring – Members have access to several programs to help increase their woodturning skills. Group sessions are held monthly and one-on-one mentoring on various topics can be arranged with experienced FRW volunteers.
- PHEOG – The Pete Holtus Educational Opportunity Grant program provides grant money to members through an application process. Applicants may request money for woodturning related classes, workshops, or symposium fees.
- Wearing masks at meetings is now optional.
- Our next Group Buy month is January 2023.
- Are you getting excited for our Holiday Party on Dec 9th? Are you thinking what item(s) you can bring for the live auction? 100% of the proceeds from the auction go towards our Educational Grant program.
- Be sure to register for the party by Dec 2nd so we know how much food to buy. Check your Inbox (or spam folder) for the email with sign up link.
- We can always use help with set up, clean up, food prep, or one of the other areas. These events only happen with YOUR help. The sign up link has details.