About Front Range Woodturners
We are the Denver area chapter of the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) serving woodturners throughout Colorado’s Front Range.
We meet on the first Tuesday of every month from 6:15 to 9:00 PM in the basement of Rockler Woodworking and Hardware. Visitors are welcome to join us at one of our meetings to see what we are all about.
We’ve moved our Sept demo to August. FRW Member Pat Scott will demo “The Perfect Peppermill”. Have you always wanted to make a peppermill but were intimidated by all the steps? Pat says there are only 4 steps to make any mill!
All peppermills are basically the same no matter what mechanism you use – it’s a piece of wood with a hole drilled through the middle. If that’s true why do you see one peppermill priced at $75 while another goes for $175 or more? In this demo Pat will discuss that and show the steps and techniques he uses to make peppermills. He’ll show some of the finer details and tips on how to make a mill of the highest quality with a top that will never squeak! This is a fast paced demo because of all the information he has to share.
September – Jessica Edwards
FRW Member Jessica Edwards will give her first club demo on making Gnomes. Jessica taught the January Ladies of the Lathe class on making gnomes and it got rave reviews, so now the rest of us are looking forward to seeing how it’s done!
- Library – The Front Range Woodturners has an extensive collection of books, magazines, and videos available for members to check out at no cost.
- Demonstrations – Each monthly meeting features an exciting demo given by one of our club members or a professional turner. When available we also offer a full day hands-on class with these renowned turners at a nominal cost.
- Wood Raffle – Members can bring some of their excess wood to a meeting to be raffled off. You can never have too much wood!
- Group Buy – Do you want to save money? We have vendor discounts with Internet suppliers, local suppliers, tool and steel suppliers and wood suppliers. Through our deals with these vendors our members can easily earn back the cost of membership!
- Ladies of the Lathe – All female members of the FRW, aged 18 or older, are invited to join the Ladies of the Lathe. LOTL is intended to provide a comfortable, easy-paced, and non-threatening environment for women to learn and advance their skills in turning.
- Mentoring – Members have access to several programs to help increase their woodturning skills. Group sessions are held monthly and one-on-one mentoring on various topics can be arranged with experienced FRW volunteers.
- PHEOG – The Pete Holtus Educational Opportunity Grant program provides grant money to members through an application process. Applicants may request money for woodturning related classes, workshops, or symposium fees.
- Swap Meet: Clear your calendar for our 4th annual swap meet/garage sale on Saturday, Oct 8th, from 9 am to noon. Additional information can be accessed in the calendar at the bottom of the page.
- Wearing masks at meetings is now optional.
- July was Group Buy month, our next Group Buy is October.